Ham and Cheese Scones
Ham and Cheese Scones is an easy, quick and delicious recipe. You need no special baking skills for this one. It takes a total of 45 minutes from start to finish. Made with better for you ingredients to keep it diet friendly. It is a healthy, low calories, low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, low sugars, low carbohydrates, diabetic, heart-healthy and Weight Watchers (5) PointsPlus recipe. Serve it with brunch or as a side with your favorite stew. Makes 12 servings. Ham and Cheese Scones will be loved by your family friends and guests.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes.
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes.
Non-Stick cooking spray
1-1/2 cups cups all-purpose flour + 2 tbsp, divided
1-1/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ cubes
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped Black Forest ham
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives
1 cup reduced-fat milk or buttermilk
1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, the whole-wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, cut or rub butter into the dry ingredients. Stir in the cheese, ham and chives.
3. Whisk together milk (or buttermilk) and egg in a medium size bowl; stir into the dry ingredients until just combined.
4. Sprinkle a work surface with 1 tablespoon of flour. Turn the dough out and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Knead three to five times, or until the dough just comes together. Divide in half and pat each piece into a 5-inch circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake until firm to the touch, 18 to 24 minutes.
YIELD: 12 Servings.
Serving Size: 1 scone per serving.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus = 5
Carb Choices: 1-1/2
1-1/2 Starch + 1/2 Fat
Calories: 191, Total Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 324mg, Sugars: 2g, Carbohydrates: 25g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 7g
Original recipe and image from Meredith Corporation. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ham_cheese_scones.html
DISCLAIMER: WeightWatchers is a registered trademark of WeightWatchers International Inc. Points and PointsPlus are trademarks of WeightWatchers International Inc. Authentic information about the program is only available at your local WeightWatchers meeting. This site is not affiliated with WeightWatchers International in any way and WeightWatchers has not reviewed this site for accuracy or suitability for WW members. Information on this site is based on recollections and assumptions of its author and is not warranted for any purpose by its author. All readers are encouraged to go to a WeightWatchers meeting for actual WW info. This site is presented under the rights of the First Amendment; rights worth fighting for. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.
IMPORTANT: This site is not qualified in nutrition or medicine. Diabetes is a serious disease that requires medical attention by a professional. The recipes on this site should not be taken as medical advice. Always use caution when reading a recipe, and always pay attention to exchange sizes. Blood glucose levels can be affected by not following individual dietary guidelines that are set in place by a medical physician. Some of the recipes do use small amounts of sugar. Please check with your physician first. Recipes with sugar are not suitable for all diabetics.