Jamaican Pepperpot Soup
Jamaican Pepperpot Soup is usually a long-simmered preparation made with tough cuts of meat and vegetables. This version uses quick-cooking tender, beef sirloin instead. It takes only (40) minutes to make from start to finish. This is a delicious creamy and spicy soup. Ingredients include: Onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, okra, scallions chile peppers, coconut milk and greens. It is also a healthy, low calories, low cholesterol, low carbohydrates, low sugars, Weight Watchers ((7 SmartPoints), 6 PointsPlus) and diabetic-friendly recipe. Makes: 6 (1-1/2 cup) Servings. Jamaican Pepperpot Soup will be loved by all of your family, friends and guests.
1 tbsp canola oil
1 lb sirloin steak, trimmed, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1-1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 small white onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp minced Scotch bonnet chile pepper or habanero
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried
4 cups water
1 tsp cornstarch
1 lb sweet potato (about 1 large), cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 cup chopped (1/2′) okra, fresh or frozen (not thawed)
3 cups chopped callaloo, collard greens or spinach
3 scallions, sliced
1 (14 oz) can “lite” coconut milk, well shaken
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add steak and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add onion, garlic, chile pepper and thyme to the pot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk water and cornstarch in a bowl or large measuring cup; add to the pot along with sweet potato and okra. Bring to a boil over high heat; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are almost tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir in callaloo (or collards or spinach) and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt; cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
4. Add scallions and the steak plus any accumulated juices. Cook until the steak is hot and just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
5. Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk.
Yield: 6 servings.
Serving Size: About 1-1/2 cups
Weight Watchers (7 SmartPoints), (6 PointsPlus)
Carb Choices: 1-1/2
1 Starch + 1 Vegetable + 2 Meat(L) + 1-1/2 Fat
Calories: 240, Total Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Sodium: 680mg, Sugars: 3g, Carbohydrates: 20g, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 18g, Vitamin A: 80 %DV, Vitamin C: 35 %DV, Potassium: 18 %DV
Original recipe and image from: Meredith Corporation. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/quick_pepperpot_soup.html
DISCLAIMER: WeightWatchers is a registered trademark of WeightWatchers International Inc. Points, PointsPlus and SmartPoints are trademarks of WeightWatchers International Inc. Authentic information about the program is only available at your local WeightWatchers meeting. This site is not affiliated with WeightWatchers International in any way and WeightWatchers has not reviewed this site for accuracy or suitability for WW members. Information on this site is based on recollections and assumptions of its author and is not warranted for any purpose by its author. All readers are encouraged to go to a WeightWatchers meeting for actual WW info. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.
IMPORTANT: This site is not qualified in nutrition or medicine. Diabetes is a serious disease that requires medical attention by a professional. The recipes on this site should not be taken as medical advice. Always use caution when reading a recipe, and always pay attention to exchange sizes. Blood glucose levels can be affected by not following individual dietary guidelines that are set in place by a medical physician. Some of the recipes do use small amounts of sugar. Please check with your physician first. Recipes with sugar are not suitable for all diabetics.